Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alt Art


I bought this book a while back and decided recently I'd love to have a go at it. I have only recently heard of Artist Trading Cards (also called ATCs). I may be the last one on the planet to have heard of them, but just in case I'm not Lolly gave a great explanation over here. And there are some awesome examples here.

There are so many ideas in this book and the projects are so small that I could easily make one set of each example. And then I'd have a bunch of little cards to trade. And get to try a bunch of different techniques. Its a total win situation

I started with the first project in the book (I'm funny that way). It was a watercolor based project and since I'm just playing around I cut up some watercolor paper into the appropriate size. The project was to paint random colors using a LOT of water so the colors flowed together. Once the background dried add some random splotches of color (I went for splatter - man that was fun) and then once everything is dry take a step back and see what there is to see on the page - and work from there. Think cloud animals.


img hosted at flikr

I've only finished one. I was cleaning off the desk (which I finally finished - will have to show you tomorrow) and the top card caught my attention. I thought I saw a little guy staring at a shooting star. Viola. My first ATC. I think these might get addicting...

4 comments:

StarSpry said...

Your first card is really cool! I hadn't heard of these before either, but the book sounds very interesting.

Joanne said...

I've never heard of these before. Very interesting!

Corwink said...

OK that is creepy!!!!! I just made two ATC's today. Freaky! In fact that is my post I am working on for today as well. Sheesh!

Katherine said...

I love this idea! And the small size makes it seem very manageable. Your first ones are beautiful!