Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Year of Alt Craft Continues

My Year of Alternate Crafts continues. This past weekend I decided it was time to try out that rug hooking kit I bought a while back. It's small. Uses yarn (so it's not such a leap as the fabric scraps used in traditional hooking) and it's sheep. I mean come on. How can you walk past a hook rug of sheep!


img hosted at flikr

I've done latch hooking before and I'm not crazy about it but this stuff I like. I followed a pattern this time but now I really want to try and make one up on my own. I bought a couple books on the subject a few years ago but haven't read them yet. I guess it's about time to get those out and take a real look.

I love how quickly it went too. Just plop down in my favorite spot in the morning...


img hosted at flikr

And look what I've got by early afternoon...


img hosted at flikr

I'm thinking it should be done this week since I keep plugging away at it when I've got a little time and good light.

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Super cute! That's going to look great up in your loft!

Kelly said...

ohh Michelle! You're hooked! There's no turning back now :) It IS a ton of fuN!

Deb said...

I've done primitve rug hooking (with wool fabric strips) and I love that. Not at all like latch hooking. Yours looks adorable!

StarSpry said...

It's so cute! I guess I don't know the difference between latch hooking and rug hooking?

Allegra said...

i loved rug hooking when i was younger. i should try it again! love the sheep!

Luni said...

Too cute to walk on! Will you hang it?

Rughooker said...

Now that you're on the way to being hooked, you should come over and join the rest of us - some of us have been hooked for decades! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rughookers

Phyllis