Monday, January 28, 2008

Ring around the Hemlock

I actually finished this early last week but I had a friend take a photo of it then couldn't remember which friend took it to ask for a copy. Doh.

Anyway, I took a picture this weekend and am very pleased to present my Hemlock Ring Blanket.


img hosted at flikr

I really enjoyed how this turned out. My ends are much more "ruffly" than other I've seen and, to be honest, if I made a second one I'd go up a needle size or two. I used the needle called for and got gauge but I felt I had to really stretch and pull on it to get it blocked like I wanted. A little looser gauge would have been nice.

I used the Cascade Eco-Wool and (I don't know if anyone else had this problem) the yarn bled like crazy while I was knitting with it and enough to turn the water pink when I soaked it. It didn't seem to cause any problems during blocking. I was a little worried about pinning it down to anything light in color, like the carpet, but it ended up being fine. Probably just excess dye that came out during my soak.

All in all, this gets two thumbs up. I love the size and color. It's a simple knit. And something different from the average afghan.

5 comments:

Luni said...

That is very very pretty. Love the color. Too bad about the bleeding, but I guess that comes with deep colors sometimes.
I nominated you for the "You Make My Day" award, as you will see on my blog. I'm supposed to give you a comment to tell you, so here it is! (I would have commented about the blanket anyway, tho. )

Chris said...

The blanket is gorgeous! I'll keep that in mind about the EcoWool - from dyeing, I do know that reds are really hard to set sometimes.

CynCyn said...

purty purty purty!! So far, my "super bright" turquoise hasn't bled on me at all, so maybe it was just the red.

WandaWoman said...

I'm glad the yarn stopped bleeding. Pretty color too. Good job!

StarSpry said...

Your blanket is beautiful!