Friday, January 18, 2008

Beret, Tam, Hat, Wilted Mushroom?

Hey there! Man, this week just flew by. And it still managed to feel like a couple of weeks long. Not a ton of knitting happened around casa knittin'. If this keeps up I'm going to have to change the name.

I did manage to start a new project last week and sorta finished it. It's the Last Minute "Purled" Beret by the most talented Wendy Bernard. It's an adorable (and free) pattern. And it was a very quick knit. The problem came in with my interpretation of the pattern instructions, or the yarn I used, or something. It was really really cute until I bound off.


img hosted at flikr

I think part of the problem is the decrease rounds. She has you do an inch of knitting between each and I don't know that I did a full inch. I think I counted the decrease round as part of the inch. And then to finish off you have 12 stitches that you simply run the yarn through and cinch. There is still a giant hole in the top of my hat. The hole when I had 12 stitches left was at least 3 inches in diameter so there has to be something wrong there too. Either way I'll be ripping back and winging it. I really want this hat. And not in such a withered mushroom state.


img hosted at flikr

I used Noro Iro to make the hat and will need two skeins to finish. But I got yarn to match to make some Bird In Hand mittens so this must work out. I will be more stubborn than this hat. But don't tell the hat that just yet. Sometimes letting the knitting think it's winning is the best way to beat it.


5 comments:

Chris said...

The colors are pretty!

Deb said...

If you lived here - you'd NEED that hat!! It sure looks lovely, gaping hole aside!

CynCyn said...

maybe a soak will let it bloom and stretch?

Stacey said...

Ummm, I think that I'll let you finish yours (and work out the kinks) before I finish mine! :)

GreenPhoenix said...

Yeah, unless you can find time to knit, you'll have to change your name to something like "Wish I was Knittin'" The projects are looking nice.