Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Surprise!

I've really been taken by all the great Elizabeth Zimmerman knits that have been popping up all over the web lately. Particularly the Baby Surprise Jacket. And when I saw a new homespun looking yarn at the shop the other day I knew I could withstand no longer.


img hosted at flikr

It's Rio De La Plata Multicolor Ply in a worsted weight. It's 100% wool which isn't the greatest for a baby garment but I really couldn't resist. And it's a jacket so it's not like it would be worn against the skin. Plus I don't even know any baby's at this moment that need one so it'll be stashed away for the next one.


img hosted at flikr

The knit is much more involved than I thought. I had read that it's all knit flat and then the seams make the jacket up. What I failed to notice is that there is increasing and decreasing on nearly every row and the instructions can be a bit vague. I do have to say though that once you get used to EZ's pattern style this is one of the most fun knits I've done this year. It really is simple and I can't wait to get it finished and see how this seaming stuff works out. If I hadn't seen so many completed ones I wouldn't believe it was possible. What a genius.


img hosted at flikr

6 comments:

Deb said...

Love that second phote! Awesome job on the jacket - I've never attempted and EZ. Thanks for the info for my freind. She'll love having it all.

Chris said...

Somewhere I have a spreadsheet that really helps with the Baby Surprise... Gorgeous yarn!

CynCyn said...

so pretty! i can't wait to see it in person!

Stacey said...

Crap...I had to rip mine out last night. I'll restart it again tonight or tomorrow. Any hints or words of wisdom for me?

StarSpry said...

What beautiful yarn! I can't wait to see how the jacket come out :)

Susan said...

Did you know that there is an adult version in "The Opinionated Knitter"? (see pages 106 for the picture and 112 for the pattern)