Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Random Quirk

While I don't consider myself musically inclined any longer, except for enjoying to listen to it, I used to be quite good at the piano. I took piano lessons for something close to 10 years as a kid. My parents have the piano in the living room of their home and every time I visit them I wish I hadn't given up playing. I'm sure if I sat down and practiced again I'd be able to play some of my favorites but for now I've been reduced back to a limited repertoire of Chopsticks and Mary Had a Little Lamb.

When I lived in Germany my grade had the option to join the "band". I say "band" because their idea of a band was more of what I'd consider an orchestra. I was able to play the violin for a year though I never did master playing without creating a great deal of squeaking. It's a beautiful instrument and I truly enjoy listening to people that have mastered it play.

Either way, I think that both those lessons helped me appreciate music of a very wide variety and love to listen to nearly everything.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

3 comments:

Chris said...

I took piano for 11 or 12 years, too! All I can play now is a wee bit of Fur Elise...

Deb said...

Lovely quote! I just started taking piano lessons two years ago - wish I had started 40 years ago because I love it but it's so hard for adults to learn!

CynCyn said...

i, too, regret not continuing with the piano. but i won't tell my mom b/c she'll just say "i told you so"