Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Clue #3

Despite all the local drop-outs (anybody left actually?) I've decided to keep plugging away at the Mystery Stole. Though I do kinda agree with Wanda's guy's assessment that it looks like a table runner, I'm not giving up hope just yet. I like it so far and I love the yarn I'm using so that will keep me motivated for now. All that being said I finally finished up clue #3 this past weekend.


img hosted at flikr

Which leads me to a funny and slightly embarrassing story...

I had pre-ordered my Harry Potter book from Amazon ages ago. I was sent several emails from Amazon assuring me that I would receive it on Saturday like the rest of the world that went to a store. I was excited. So many assurances, it must be true.

Like a normal Harry Potter fan I stalked the front door all day waiting for the UPS man to appear with my box. I looked up the tracking number online and confirmed that my box had made it to my city the day before. Very positive sign. Don't you hate it when you are waiting for something you are very excited about? Was that the door? Oh, I went outside in the backyard for 2 seconds I'd better be sure I didn't miss them. I should knit something that will keep my mind occupied. Like lace. Maybe they won't ring the bell because they have so many deliveries and don't want to get slowed down by all the signing? Well, at least I'm making progress on my stole while I'm waiting. Hmmm. It's getting a bit dark. Maybe they delivered to the wrong house. I should walk down the street and just be sure it's not on a neighbors doorstep. Finished Mystery Stole clue #3. I should be halfway done with my book by now. Where the heck is it? It's darn dark now. Even at Christmas when they were backlogged and were making up for those days when they couldn't deliver because of the snow they didn't come out this late. Maybe I should just drive to Barnes and Noble and buy another copy. That'd be dumb. But maybe...

I think you guys see what I was going through here... The darn UPS guy didn't show up.

Want to know the best (and slightly embarrassing) part of the story now? On Monday morning I checked my mail before heading to work and found the box with the book in my mailbox. Mind you we have the apartment style mailboxes - you know the ones, all grouped in one place with keys for each. So my package was apparently not delivered by UPS because they decided to use the USPS for the Saturday delivery. Well damn. At least I got to start reading it Monday after work. And didn't go to the local bookstore and end up with two copies. And I finished clue #3.

Must. Think. Positive.

damn UPS

6 comments:

mishaele said...

I did the exact same thing with my HP7. I even CALLED UPS, and they told me it was on its way. I checked my mailbox at about 6:30pm on Sat, and sure enough, there it was, just waiting. You'd think the guy on the phone (who could tell that it was a copy of HP7, btw) would have said something!?!?!

I'm still planning on MS3. Just haven't gotten into it again yet.

Kim said...

I'm still working on mine; I need to catch up though. I'll be bringing it this weekend :) Bummer about your HP book--you could have finished on Sunday! Nothing wrong with having two copies(I'll probably have 4 when all is said and done).

Chris said...

Oh, that's kinda funny about the book! Dang... Hmm, it DOES look like a table runner...

Agnes said...

I think my MS3 turns out a bit narrower than I would like it to too ... but like you, I like the pattern so far.
I know I can get the book cheaper by pre-ordering ... but somehow I never got to do it. That night, Husband and I went to Safeway and got it (full-price) in 1 minute.

Susan said...

I have not dropped out. I am just up to my usual trick of waiting for a picture of the whole thing before I do anything. I truly appreciate that someone I know is providing pictures.

I picked up my copy of HP7 at the bookstore on Saturday and didn't get to it until after 5pm.

CynCyn said...

i'm not ripping mine (MS3) out yet, but just paused in the actual knitting right now (though... I guess I'm not local anymore, eh?). Such a funny story re: HP7. I would've been doing the exact same thing (with more cussing).