Monday, June 11, 2007

Random Quirk

I like to read a series in order. It doesn't matter how long the books have been coming out I will not read them out of order. I just started the Kay Scarpetta series which have been coming out for the last 17 years but I'm on book 2. I mostly listen to audiobooks because I have a long commute to work and because I like keeping my hands freed up for knitting. And I usually get my audio books from the library but if they haven't got one of the series on audio I'll get it written out even though I know it'll take me 5 times as long to get through it and on to the next one.

I also tend to like a series of books over a book that is not part of a series. I'll listen and re-listen to series. Some of my favorite recent (to me) discoveries are Stephanie Plum, Kay Scarpetta, Tales of the Otori, and my all time favorite Thursday Next.

4 comments:

Christy Cooper said...

I love audiobooks, too. It keeps me 'reading' without having to carry books around, and gives me something to look forward to during my commute.

Snowball suggested the "His Dark Materials" series -- I've been listening to "The Golden Compass" as part of my 2-a month subscription from audible.

Kim said...

I have to read a series in order too. I cannot under any circumstances start in the middle.

I'm not good with audio books though. I can use them for books I've read before but not for a new read(I can't concentrate on them).

WandaWoman said...

I have to read series in order too. I just cannot pick up something in the middle and continue on, it's just so wrong to me.

Giantsknitter said...

I love Stephanie Plum (being a transplanted Jersey girl myself) and Kay Scarpetta. You might want to try Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series. Anna, the protagonist, is a park ranger and each book is set in a different national park. ALos, Elizabeth Peters books of mystery/archaeology set in the early 20th century Middle East.