Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New Hobby?

Don't worry fellow knitting fanatics, I don't forsee this one taking over my obsession with knitting but I have to admit I've always had an interest in quilting. You might remember when I went and bought a bunch of fabric to make a lightweight summertime quilt for my bed. Well, that fabric looks exactly the same as it did when I showed you (except for maybe a little dusty). I got intimidated when I sat down to actually make the quilt. Cutting is so scary to me. So permanent. And I don't even know the names for all the pieces of a quilt, never mind how to actually put one together. So I did two things.

The first was to sign up for a class. It starts tonight at one of the local quilt shops. It's a "start to finish" type of class. Tonight we are talking about fabric, selecting what we want to use to make our little baby size quilt, and maybe even cut it (shudder). I'm hoping to pick up a few tips on this whole cutting thing.

The other thing I did was to take some fabric from my stash, which is quite considerable when you think about how little sewing I am willing to do, and make a quilt just so it wasn't so darn scary.


It's pretty small. About the size of a throw. And dang it was fast to get together. I sewed this up in an evening. Would have taken me more than a month to knit one this big. There are some glaring flaws in it (to me) and I still need to trim some of the edges down to the right size. But it was kinda fun, used up some of the fabric stash, and doesn't make me sad. It is a first attempt after all.


This are my favorite fabrics in the little guy. Now to take that class and really get my feet wet.

3 comments:

Deb said...

It's good to branch out into other areas - if for no other reason than to come back to what you love the most!!

michaele said...

quilting terrifies me. it's that combining colors and patterns thing again - which you are great at, but me not so much. Can't wait to see what you create!

WandaWoman said...

I'm impressed that you are taking a quilting class. Awesome. I was wondering whatever happened to the "easy" quilt project. Sounds like fun and don't be afraid to cut!!