Thursday, June 14, 2007

Building a Mystery

Mystery stole mania has hit. The third mystery stole knit along is really ramping up. The yahoo group is growing by leaps and bounds (over 1500 members at last count) and you can tell the anticipation for the first clue is high. Lots of chatter about what yarn to use and what colors will be nice. The designer recommended white or black as it will lend to the story behind the stole but I'm not terribly keen on either of those so I'll be going my own way. Such a rebel. Ha.

To get ready for the first clue I picked some yarn from my stash to knit up a swatch and see if I like how it looks in the sample pattern. There has been a great deal of discussion on the group list on whether or not a variegated yarn will work for the pattern. I figure, of course it will. Especially the variegated yarn I have in mind to use. I was proven right (at least in my mind- and really, where does it count most?) that this yarn is going to make a beautiful stole. What do you think?

It's Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in the colorway Aslan. The primary color is a beautiful tan with quite a bit of pearl gray, and cream thrown in. I ordered my beads a week or so ago so I'm hoping they appear on my doorstep soon. I bought a few colors since I didn't really have a firm idea on what color yarn I'd be using so I'll have some fun options when they arrive. I can't wait to get started on this.

10 comments:

Allegra said...

Your swatch is beautiful! What an elegant color and pattern!

Deb said...

Ooooh, the mystery begins. I akready have goosebumps!

Deb said...

Oh - I just koined the Mystery Stole 3 knit-a-long!!

CynCyn said...

such an enabler. When did u get the LL Aslan? I haven't gotten beads yet. Hmmm.

WandaWoman said...

Don't tell me that, now I'm thinking I might use my LL's instead? Hmm, I dunno know. If I go with the Helen's Lace, it would use most of that yarn, so I wouldn't have a full skein left over such as if I use the Zephyr. Darn you Michelle! Your swatch looks great. I didn't recall you getting Aslan . . .

Luni said...

Very very pretty yarn.
BTW, Cosmic Pluto finished her Roundabout Tank. Did you see?
http://www.cosmicpluto.com/blog/

www.knittingnutter.com said...

Great yarn choice - looks great in lace.

michaele said...

pretty! It looks aqua, though, on my screen. Can't wait to see the colors in person.

Joanne said...

The color is beautiful. Good choice!

Did you buy out the yarn market on Saturday?

Meredith said...

The swatch looks really good! I've been wanting to try out that Helen's Lace for a while now. Sounds like an awesome KAL!