Monday, June 04, 2007

Random Quirk

Growing up I couldn't eat spicy food. I mean we are talking about black-pepper-was-way-too-spicy kind of can't-eat-spicy-food. Once I grew up a bit I started adding spices to my foods and now love food with a little kick. Thai, Mexican, and Korean are some of my favorite kinds of foods now.

My DH is an awesome Korean cook (he lived in Seoul for 6 years as a kid) and loves to test my boundaries. He found the ultimate limit one evening when I made the mistake of mentioning that I felt like I was coming down with a cold. He cooked up a dish of red pepper paste, vegetables, and rice noodles. Normally this dish has a brownish red sauce but this time he wanted to "help" me get rid of my cold. It was bright red. I ate a single bite and my face turned lobster red and my eyes teared up. He tried all the tricks he new. Bread, rice, milk. Nothing helped. I threatened to go suck on my wool coat.


Could someone pass the Kimchi?

9 comments:

michaele said...

I usually try wasabi when I have a cold. One of my friends recommends raw garlic. Lucky you, I didn't know he was a fabulous cook, too!

Allegra said...

YUM!!!! I love korean food, especially kim-chi!

Chris said...

Yikes! I inadvertantly hit a really really hot pepper (that shouldn't have been in my particular dish) at a Thai restaurant once... Almost makes my eyes water just thinking about it!

But - did it help your cold?

Wendy said...

My husband is half Korean and his mom would make the most awesome Korean food. Unfortunately, I do now know how to cook Korean food. My husband really misses it. That is awesome your husband learned to cook it. I would love to be able to make Kimchee and Bulgogi. I am sure I didn't spell those right.

CynCyn said...

Does the DH know how to cook bibimbop? DUDE. I wonder if you had added a bit of sugar to the bread, milk, or rice, if that would've helped some. 5 more to go!

Joanne said...

I can certainly empathize. I'm such a wimp.

I find that sour cream helps. Or peanut butter.

Robin said...

Man!! My husband and I adopted our sons at ages 4 and 5 from South Korea. It took awhile for the pungent smell of kim-chi to get out of their pores. At ages 23 and almost 25, they still are nuts for the hot hot hot food. They will eat it while tears roll down their faces. The youngest, by the way, is now a chef!

Luni said...

Gosh, that looks so good. You are making me hungry!

Susan said...

You are braver than I am. I would have wimped out before the fist bite.