Friday, January 26, 2007

A Kinsey Millhone I'll never be

Well, after years of knitting I've proven to myself that I am still fallible. Not to say I really thought I wasn't but damn, I hate it when I make the dumb mistakes...



I got all the way through my first ball of Malabrigo working on Wicked. It's so pretty. I finished up the top section, put everything on waste yarn to see if it would fit under the arms and such and found it to be too small. No big deal. It's knit from the top down so I'll just add a few more increases. Then I started thinking. Did I ever check my gauge? AAAAAGGGGHHHH. No. I didn't. And not only didn't I check it but when I did check it I found I was a full stitch tighter than I should be (5.5 instead of 4.5).

At first I thought, no big deal. Knit from the top down I'll just keep going and it'll work fine anyway. But then I started thinking about the yarn requirements and how I have *just* enough to make this sweater. So...

I started over.

This time on size 9 needles. The fabric feels much better. I even had someone comment to me that the first version felt very dense - next time I'll do some figurin' when I hear that and check my blasted gauge. The neckline looks closer to what I expected too. My first version was almost a crewneck instead of the wider boatneckish thing it's supposed to have. All these clues. Now you know why I couldn't make it as a detective.

5 comments:

CynCyn said...

oh. man. i'm using 9s for Starsky... I wish I had told ya.

Chris said...

Better to start over, because I think your armholes would've ended up about 6" below your bust! :D

Sonya said...

Oh, if only Kinsey were a knitter! Sorry about the do over.

Wanda said...

That's too bad about Wicked. I thought the fabric was a little too dense, but wasn't sure if you were knitting down to gauge or not. At least now it will be right and it wasn't all the way done and you realized it was too small, right?

Kim said...

That colorway looks awesome. Sorry you had to start over(at least you get to spend more time with it :))