Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First FO of the year

I've been knittin away at the Caftan Pullover. Been trying to get it done before I cast on for two new sweaters later this month. I weaved in the last end last night and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. I don't particularly care for the way it fits. Oh, and before *somebody* out there asks, yes, I made the right size (even smaller than I normally would have picked).

It feels too sloppy and loose. There isn't any waist shaping and it feels like the sag is down at my belly rather than up at my non-existant boobages. I don't have a lot up top and this just seemed to emphasise it to me.

I also didn't care for the side slits. A bit too high. This problem is easily remedied though so it doesn't bum me out as much.

I do really love the sleeves though. Just long enough and such a great little detail at the cuff.

I was debating on seaming up the front just a little bit to keep the detail work from sagging the way it does now. What do you think?

10 comments:

Chris said...

Hmm, that side view does look like it's pretty baggy up there. I'm not sure what you could do to tweak that! Anyone on your gift list for next year that it might fit better?

Wendy said...

Could you crochet some loops on one side that go all the way up the opening and then sew buttons on the other side and then button it up until it looks nice?

Allegra said...

I'm sorry you look so sad about it! It's beautiful knitting!

Wanda said...

I can tell you're not happy with it, no smiles at all on any of those pctures. I like Wendy's idea of perhaps crocheting some loops to it. I like the design, but the design section that hits your belly button area should have started, imo, just slightly below your boos. That slit is so high that even those with bigger girls couldn't wear it b/c it's too open/flappy. I'm sorry this didn't work out, but hopefully you can come up with a fix that you'll be happier with.

CynCyn said...

who would be asking you if you made the right size? MOI? Ok. It's too big. Too baggy. I think it needs waist shaping and less of a deep V. How come it looked so great on the model (who had similar build as you?)
So... it was knit bottom up? so ripping and reknitting would be a total pain?
it does look significantly better when you close up a couple inches of the V neck though.

Glaistig said...

I feel your pain! I love the caftan color and overall design.

Maybe you could give Wendy's idea a go or gift it? I personally think it's too lovely to totally frog!

KnittySue said...

It is really lovely,but yes it has a fitting problem...I definately would sew it up the front some and you maybe could add a loop on one side and a button or frog on the other for the opening that's left and I would sew the side slits up afew inches...try it on one side you can always take it out but I think it would look good.
Beautiful sweater in my fav.color...
KnittySue

Sonya said...

Yes, I think I would seam up the V at bit. And given my recent experience, if it stays on you with manual intervention, it fits. ;o)

Sonya said...

Dang! Make that WITHOUT manual intervention.

knotingale said...

That is a very pretty color, but it's probably just the wrong yarn for the pattern. I bought the Ultra Silk for that sweater on sale from Elann. Looking at it, I'd say the construction and the weight of Ultra Silk is significantly different than Touche. The weight of the cotton in the Touche makes it saggy. I'm going to make it for a spring sweater, so I'll test that theory.
I guess that's no help, sorry. As a small consolation, the sale yarn only came in one color, a rather bright green.