Monday, December 11, 2006

Time Flys

I have no knitting news to post but decided that Kim and Cathi have the right idea here. Totally swiping it...

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Since I can't drink milk products anymore hot chocolate has lost a great deal of charm. Soy Egg Nog all the way. Especially in my coffee.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Always wraps. I don't have any little ones but DH is as bad as a 10 year old this time of year about trying to see what presents he's got.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
WHITE. When I lived in Germany the colored ones were only used in bars. I guess it's stuck with me. Plus I think the plain white ones are so classic.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope.

5. When do you put up your decorations?
This year they made it out on the day after Thanksgiving though most years it's closer to Christmas if at all.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
This is going to sound silly but what they hey. I love mashed potatoes. And while I get them year round I sure seem to get better ones and more of them this time of year.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
I think I was 9 or 10 and knew about Santa. My mom must have been very tired the night before because she mixed up what was in mine and my sisters. We are all sitting there going through our socks and I look at mom and say "Mom, you messed them up!". Wow. Was Mom upset. DS was quite confused as to why Mom would have been messing around with what Santa had done. Or at least that is how Mom explained why it was messed up.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Man, I was pretty old. I remember some boys making fun of me in the 3rd grade because I still believed. I was convinced because the year before I got a bike and I just *knew* Mom and Dad couldn't afford it so it *must* have come from Santa.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No. Not until a few years ago. My Dad's birthday is Christmas Eve so we let that be his day. My DH used to as a kid and we still do on some years though we aren't too consistent.

10. What kinds of decorations are on your Christmas Tree?
I have a ribbon (white with blue snowflakes) wrapped from top to bottom and most of the ornaments are snowflakes or snowmen.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread?
Love it on the mountains. Hate shoveling it and driving through it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Ha. Not even a little bit. I was raised in the south for the majority of my life so there wasn't a lot of places to practice (read: any) and have always had horrible balance anyway. I'm fairly entertaining on skates of any type.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I still have it. When I was 10ish I got a soft toy stuffed pig puppet that went everywhere with me for at least the next 3-4 years. She'll be wearing a Fana cardigan if I can get the darn thing done.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
This is a tough one. We tend to spend the holidays with family but never on the actual holiday. Usually by the time the actual holiday rolls around, peace and quiet are really important.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I can't really think of a specific dessert. I love pecan pie, chocolate, cookies, chocolate, and egg nog.

16 What is your favorite holiday tradition?
As a kid we used to cook all kinds of cookies, fudge, and other small treats and take them to families we know. We'd ring the bell and run off. It was a lot of fun. I don't think anyone does that anymore (or would necessarily trust a magic plate of cookies left on the step without knowing who left them). Kinda sad, but it was may favorite tradition. For stuff I still do I'd have to put the tree up there on the top of the list. Dragging it out and decorating it is a pain but I sure love looking at it. Makes all the fuss worth it.

17. What tops your tree?
A bow made of the same ribbon that trims the tree.

18. What is your favorite holiday book?
I loved Skipping Christmas.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silver bells, Silent Night, and Oh Holy Night in that order.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy?
They are fine.

2 comments:

CynCyn said...

i love the cookie drop and run thing. I can imagine you and DS doing that... you can't do soy hot cocoa? umm... i don't mean this to sound mean... but are you being generous when you say that your DH is as bad as a 10 yr old? really? 10? i was thinking more like 7 or 8. My bad.

Chris said...

That Silk Nog is the BEST. Do you ever make hot chocolate with Silk and something like Ghiradelli sweet ground chocolate? YUM.