Monday, December 04, 2006

Fana Fana Boo Boo

What a great weekend I just had. I was able to attend a workshop on the Fana Cardigan taught by Beth Brown-Reinsel. She was an excellent instructor and I really feel a lot more confident in both my colorwork abilities and with the dreaded steeking. The construction on these little cardis are just amazing as well. She brought in some great examples of colorwork and twinned knitting too. I guess I can't gush enough about this class.

I did manage a photo or two as well. I took some before and after shots of the steeks I did in the cardigan so I could share them. It really is un-nerving to pull out the scissors with the intention of cutting down your work...

First things first, knit up what you want to steek. Beth had us do a purl knit purl (which you can see in the first photo) to identify the area to be steeked. The purls gave us the position to sew and the knit ridge created makes an easy target for the cutting.

For areas not identified by purl stitches we took out some contrast yarn and basted the area so when we walked over to the sewing machine we knew what we were doing (or at least where to do it).


Next up we sewed around our basting twice












And finally - out came the scissors and off came the parts we didn't need any longer. Personally, I went home after class and had a glass of wine to celebrate. It's only terrifying while you are cutting. ;)





Even though our sample is so small it will probably only fit one of my stuffed animals I think I'll go ahead and finish it just to see how it turns out. Who know, maybe I'll get it done today...

8 comments:

Stitchen for Kids said...

You amaze me! Great job!

CynCyn said...

i love the colors (of course) will any of your little piggies fit into it?

Chris said...

That sounds like a very cool class! I think the Yarn Harlot recommends a glass of wine before cutting the steek, too. ;)

Joanne said...

I agree that it was a very educational and fun weekend. I'm almost ready to sew and cut mine, and much happier with the current version. I'll take any class with BBR. She's a wonderful teacher. It was nice to see you all weekend!

Judy said...

What great pictures of the fun weekend. I have posted a few too. I loved the colors you chose - vibrant and rich. Thanks so much for attending.

Samantha said...

Wonderful colors- and how brave to steek!

Susan said...

I thought it was a great class. Hopefully, I can remember the different ways of holding yarn. My Fana is missing it's buttons but I am declaring it done.

Wanda said...

Eeek, a steek! I'm sure it was a great class. I probably should have taken it, but oh well. You can teach us all you learned, right? ;-) It looks great.