Thursday, November 30, 2006

Stranded Knitting

Check this awesome KAL I joined yesterday (yes, another one). It starts December 1st. Considering my obsessions lately it seemed like a good choice. While I should use this opportunity to finish up Fair Isle Jazz I won't even pretend that is why I joined this little KAL. This was fully inspired by Eunny Jang and the Endpaper Mitts that I must own. I want to make these too but I'll have to wait for the pattern and one thing at a time. At least one fair isle thing at a time. Hell, who am I kidding. I may start them as soon as the pattern is posted.
One consoling factor of these beautiful Endpaper Mitts is that I knew I had the yarn in my stash already that I'd like to use. Hooray for uses for sock yarn other than socks!


The dark color is actually a chocolate brown. Not that you can tell from the photo. I almost cast on last night but I'm so close to being done with Lucca I decided to work on her first. Just the strap left to go.

Oh yeah - and there were some questions too. I thought I'd play along.

What are your projects for this knitalong? I plan on starting just with the Endpaper Mitts but we'll see where it goes from there. I've been very attracted to fair isle projects this winter and I imagine joining this KAL is just going to give me more ideas.

Is this your first colorwork project? If it isn't, what was your first, and has it survived the test of time? My first ever fair isle project was the Elle bag. It was an easy knit and very forgiving since it's felted after all the work is done. It's held up great. My first wearable fair isle didn't go nearly as well. (Bjerk by Dale of Norway) I checked gauge on the stockinette but didn't realize it changed when I got to the fair isle parts. The sleeve had a fair isle band around the wrist and I couldn't even get my hand through. It ended up frogged and is still in little balls in my stash.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

That's so funny. I'm planning on joining the Stranded KAL too. But I do plan to finish up Fair Isle Jazz for this one, although I do want to make the Endpaper Mitts. When I saw those, I knew I would have to make them, but darn it all, I don't have any yarn in my stash at that weight. I will have to get something to make those. Great job on Lucca too.

Glaistig said...

The color combo is great. (The words" chocolate brown" make me hungry. . . .) It's great that you already had the yarn too!