Friday, October 20, 2006

Random Friday

We all know that knitting has started poping up all over the place. We have Knit in Public days. It's on TV. And apparently it has now found it's way into Opera.

For anyone that somehow doesn't already know this - Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival happens this weekend. For all my fiber lovin friends that are going - take lots of photos and bring back even more yarn!!

Lolly's Soctoberfest Questionnare

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started making socks a few years ago. I was attracted to the Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles book by Cat Bordhi. It must have been right about when the book came out because there was a lot of buzz about it.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first pair was made from a self striping Lion Brand yarn. They are ok. I didn't leave enough of a tail to properly weave in the ends so I hate wearing them. Also, there are quite a few tricks I wasn't aware of, as well as standard garment making techniques (like proper gauge) so they are quite ill fitting. I wear them when I'm piddling around the house though.

What would you have done differently? Aside from proper gauge and a weaveable tail... I would have used a different colorway. I bought some extreemly bright striping colors. I can't say I'd do that much else different.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Lornas Laces is certainly up there. I made a pair of footies that I love out of it, though I don't feel that it holds up that well. I really enjoyed the Austerman Step as well (what I made my last pair of socks from).

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I really like the magic loop method. It's neat, easy, and I feel comfortable with it.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I haven't tried that many heels but I like the way the short-row fits my heel the best so far. The flap is much easier to knit to me but since I'd like to enjoy wearing my socks someday I'll stick with the short-row. How many pairs have you made?

How many pairs have you made? I think I'm up to 5 pairs. I've got the first pair, two more pair made from a ragg style yarn (one for me, one for DH), the footies, amble, and the Sensational Sock #1. Of all the socks I've made I really only like to wear the footies. Maybe I should stick with that...

No comments: