Thursday, September 21, 2006

Getting Going

Uh oh. I think the little pixies that encourage casting on must have been whispering in my ears at night. I have an incredible urge to start a bunch of new things. In addition to stuff I already cast on for and haven't told you about. Man, busy time for pixies I guess.

I went ahead and started my Lizard Ridge afghan. I went to the yarn shop after work the other day and didn't have any knitting with me. What was a girl to do but buy a skein of Noro and some needles that light up (those are just funny) and start something new? I had already ordered the yarn I wanted to use and I promise I'll post a pic once I get it all. So far I've already had to rip back a few times (once in a pretty big way) but I've got the rhythm of it now and am trucking along. Why would I rip? Well...


The designer of Lizard Ridge is a genius. Really. She has you knit from the inside of the ball for one set of ridges and then the outside of the ball for the next. By doing this you get a very dramatic color change instead of the gradual and blended shift you get from Noro when you knit is as intended. As you can see above (kind of) when I used the inside of the ball I was using brown. When I switched to the outside, it was brown too. Darn it. I ripped back to the first ridge, cut off all the brown, and now have a beautiful shift in color. I hope this doesn't happen often but I'll know to watch for it next time.

I also started the Caftan Pullover from the Spring 2006 Interweave. I have been dying for it to cool off enough to make this beauty. I bought Berrocco Touche on sale in a gorgeous blue-red. Ultra Silk is what the pattern called for. That would have been nice but I'm trying to be reasonable with my yarn budget. Key word is trying, mind you. Anyway, I started this pretty thing last Sunday. Sunday's can be for starting too right? It's knitting up quite fast and I'm really enjoying the Touche. It's a very soft yarn to knit with. The rayon in it creates a fabulous drape and the cotton is very nice as well. I actually wouldn't have guessed this was a cotton blend yarn. We'll have to see how it holds up. So far, it's getting an A (would have been an A+ but the yardage really sucks).

Where the pixies are really giving me trouble is with those new KALs I joined. Soctoberfest should be where I take advantage of a little extra inspiration and get the socks I've already got on the needles finished. But then there are all these great new sock patterns available that are tempting me. And I have some Trekking yarn in my stash that has a lot of fall colors in it. How perfect could that be?

And then there's the Grey's KAL. I should just knit on my Caftan Pullover but there's this tempting me. How appropriate would it be to knit something from the Gray's Anatomy section of the latest Vogue during Grey's Anatomy? And I already have the yarn for it. And it starts tonight. I'll have to let you know if I was strong enough tomorrow.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Ooh, I love that afghan! Can't wait to see yours progress!

Stacey said...

I say cast on, cast on!! If I had my yarn I would totally cast on for mine. I'm going to need your help deciding which color to use...the nectarine or the charcoal. Believe it or not, but I'm leaning towards the charcoal!

CynCyn said...

can't wait to see the caftan. I've been waiting for that one.
and, man, what's ONE more? that's what I'm telling myself. casting on for a DNA scarf tonight.

Wanda said...

I love the afghan too. If you want to cast on, cast on for new stuff. You always do anyway! :-) The caftan will be gorgeous!

Chris said...

It's going to be fun to watch your afghan develop. You really do have startitis, don't you?! LOL.