Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sittin' here Amazed

I can't tell how many times I've tried to type this Thank You note. It seems to always end up either too gushy or too distant. I guess you're going to just have to deal with a bit of gushyness because I'm still so overwhelmed by this gift.

Last night I thought I was meeting a friend of mine for dinner. I got to the restaurant and got a table and waited for her to arrive. When she did there was a bit of discussion at the front door. Another of my friends was with her and I was very pleased as I don't get to see her very often.

Less than ten minutes later another friend I hadn't expected to see arrive and the waiting staff starts milling around in our area talking about pushing together tables. One comes over to our table and my friend confirms that we need seating for eleven. Wow. Very cool surprise. :-)

Dinner was great and most of my favorite people were there. There was talk of knitting (how could there not be) and yarn and life in general. The food was excellent - we were at this great little Italian place.

After everyone had arrived they pass over this HUGE box to me that contained a wedding present. K. This is where I tend to get a little gushy because that present was this incredible afghan.


All these wonderful women I've met through the years have apparently been keeping a secret for the last 8 months or so and have, with a few near misses (those were some great stories!), not spilled the beans in any way about this phenomenal thing they worked so hard on. I can't express my thanks enough for this gift. It's so generous and thoughtful and lovely. I know Thomas and I will enjoy it for many many years.

Included with the gift was a photo of the afghan with all your names on it. I found the list astounding as well. I owe thanks to so many of you! So, without further ado, many many thanks to Judy, Stacey, Marsha, Kim, Jeni, Wanda, Sheila, Cynthia, Amy, Joanne, Susan, Jenifer, Cathi, Linda, Michaele, Pam, Kristen, Barbara, Sharon, Marilyn, Wendy, and Jan.

Wow.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, that's a completely amazing wedding present. How lovely! How thoughtful.

Kim said...

I'm so glad you liked it :) Sorry I couldn't be there last night--family stuff. That picture is the first I've seen of the finished product. I can't believe you didn't find out about it at all; it was a tough secret to keep. Enjoy and if I don't see you beforehand, have a great wedding!

Deb said...

How very sweet - and what a keepsake for your and your groom! Enjoy!

Judy said...

The finished product is gorgeous. I hope you enjoy it for a long and happy life together.

Jenifer said...

I'm so glad you like it. :) You and Thomas deserve it!

Samantha said...

Wow, what an amazing present and what amazing friends!! Congrats!

Bookish Wendy said...

Ohh, it turned out so great! I loved working on the squares and was hyper aware of infusing every stitch with support and love! You are going to have a great marriage. Congrats.
;)

Kristen said...

It looks great!! I have been so anxious to see a picture. I am sorry I was unable to attend the surprise. I am glad you like it and many warm thoughts for your big day.

Happy Knitting.

Joan said...

What a gorgeous afghan and what generous friends you have. Now that is a great wedding present!

Andi said...

Wow! It is very beautiful. Congratulations on your wedding!!