Monday, July 03, 2006

Lace Madness

Um. I think I may have been bitten by a lace bug. I guess it's a good thing since I was already bitten by the lace-weight-yarn-buying-bug so I have plenty of stash to take care of my recent obsession. First lets talk about the finished one, because it's pretty, and it'd finished.

River from Rowan Magazine #38 made with Rowan Kidsilk Haze (or more aptly Kidsilk Crack) in the Jelly color (should I spell that colour since it's British yarn? *wink*)


It turned out just as I'd hoped. And was simple to knit once I got the hang of all that fluff. There is a little doughnut shaped glittery tie laying on top of the wrap. I used some Swarovski beads and knit up a little swatch that got sewn over some elastic. The pattern actually gives instruction for this but I made mine quite a bit smaller than the pattern would have ended up.

Finish one, start two right? Well, I did (surprise, surprise).

I cast on for a Knit Along that one of the LYS is having. Rather than having everyone pick out and work the same pattern at their leisure, she's emailing two rows of the pattern a day to the participants. I've got no idea what it'll look like at the end or if it even looks right now (because it looks pretty darn weird to me at the moment). But it's done in Lorna's Laces Shepard Sport, which I adore, so I'm sure I'll like the end result. Here's what it looks like so far.

I'm using the Watercolor colorway of the Lorna's. So pretty. But really, two lines per day may keep me on target but it just whets my appetite for more lace. So...

As I mentioned before I wanted to get started on my Charlotte's Web so I started her last night. She's sure goes fast at first. I imagine it would be best not to get used to that. So far I'm loving how she's turning out. The colorway I decided on starts with the pink/olive yarn and I'm very happy with the amount of olive I'm seeing. The pink gets a tad bright in a couple sections but I'll live. I'm already at the part where you add in the second color and alternate so you can see a bit or orange close to the needles.

And because I'm a glutton for punishment I signed up for the Mystery Stole 2 on yahoogroups. It looks really interesting and the one that was used last year is absolutely stunning. I'm debating on which lace weight yarn I want to use for it. It doesn't start until the 7th so there's still time to join up if you're interested!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! You are a lace knitting fiend! River is STUNNING. And you are off to a good start on Charlotte. But I'm not sure I could do that get two rows of the pattern a day thing - I suspect it would drive me nuts!

CynCyn said...

Great. Thanks a lot. (grr). I've now joined the Mystery Lace Stole thing too. AUGH!

Wanda said...

River looks great! I think I'm going to start Charlotte soon too. I did join the Mystery Lace Stole, but I changed my mind. I've got too many other things to do and I do want to know what it looks like! I don't think I can live with the not knowing! So sad, I know.

Glaistig said...

That is one gorgeous River. The color is very unusual. How can you resist knitting in a "colour" called "Jelly", tee hee. Fantastic job!